st. Gotthard

Friday, April 13, 2007

On the road again !


I have an old road bicycle from Peugeot factories with "St. Gothard" written on the top tube. It already has a curious history of its own. Back in 1998 I purchased it second hand in Aachen, rode it to work there for three months (with short trips to Belgium and Netherlands) and then left it in friend's basement with the intention of coming back for another working year. This, however, had never realized. Seven years later I had a business meeting in Dusseldorf. The bike had changed the owner since, but my German friends helped me to track it down in a friend's friend's garage and take it home to Slovenia. The following February, on one of the coldest days of the year, it was stolen in front of my office. But I somehow felt it was not lost forever. Indeed, one month later I caught a youngster riding it and a casual mention of the police persuaded him to give me the bike and continue on foot.

I am still riding it to work despite the fact that
its age is starting to show. So, before it totally falls apart I think it deserves the grand finale at it's birthplace - the top of Gotthard pass. That's where I am heading end of April.

5 Comments:

  • Incredible story of your bike. I am currently reading your blogs and I must say: I love your crazy ideas. Greetings from Aachen!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

  • Hey, I have the same bike right now.
    Greetings from Hövelhof, near Bielefeld.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM  

  • Thanks for the comments!

    The bike continues it's history - it is now a fixed speed.
    Hmmm... I'm wondering if I should climb St.Gothard with a fixie?

    By Blogger iik, At June 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

  • Hello, do you have still your bike?
    If yes, please show pictures from your ST. Gotthard bike as a fixie.
    Because, I got the same bike.

    Cheers

    Sascha from Hövelhof, Germany

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM  

  • Hi Sascha,

    I'll put some pictures of the fixie on this blog soon.

    Cheers, Igor.

    By Blogger iik, At June 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home